I write about music and stuff...

Sunday 1 February 2015

D'Angelo on Saturday Night Live


The dropping of Black Messiah, reminded us of what we have missed from music. And no, I'm not just talking about D'angelo's soul caressing vocals laid over hypnotic beats (that can be product of nothing other than delicate craft). I'm talking about the questions conjured, the issues outlined and the message so wrapped within the music, it still penetrates the trance his voice puts you into. The political statements could not be missed in The Charade; "All we wanted was a chance to talk, 'stead we only got outlined in Chalk" - a reference to Mike Brown, Eric Garner and the horrible injustices in America that are evermore apparent right now. In, what I believe is, his first live performance since dropping the album, D'Angelo performed the track last night on SNL, along with Really Love.

It's stripped back, it's simple but there is real detail in the performance, which is probably why it's so enticing. It's funny because, the making of the album was a collaborative effort from D'angelo and his band, The Vanguard, so the live versions of both tracks sound pretty much identical to the album versions. It's just something about seeing it all being executed to perfection live that's so intriguing. I literally found myself fixated on my screen (but that's probably also because I was trying imagine D'angelo serenading me with Really Love because boy those vocals are tighttttttttt). I feel like the choice of songs; one about love and one about fighting against social injustice, sent out 2 things we really need in the world right now. Less subtle, was the message he relayed with the chalk outline on stage, the band's "I Can't Breathe" shirts and the hoodie he wore (which I'm guessing is related to the tragic story of Trayvon Martin). The perfect use of music, the perfect use of performance and the perfect use of platform. 

I love live bands, smooth ass vocals and music doing more than just entertaining - but sending out a message. So yes, I loved this performance. And yes, I need someone to come with me and watch him and Raheem - Razzaaaaaa - Bakhare when he comes to London town pls.

0 comments:

Post a Comment