I write about music and stuff...

Thursday 8 May 2014

BASHY WENT FRENCH THOUGH (Bashy: Fire In The Booth)


Truth be told, and I am ashamed to say it, I've never really gone out my way to listen to Bashy. The only time I've not seen him in a non-commercial light is on LOTM and on features which, I was always impressed by, but for some reason I still never acted on it. Consequently, before I had a gander at his Fire In The Booth, the image of Bashy in my head was just "commercial Bashy". While I liked the concept of his recent single, 'These Are The Songs', there wasn't much more for me to get realllllly excited about...

...then he spoke French.

He starts with all that political ishhhhhh which was a straight big green tick from me. You could say addressing real issues is something Bashy has done from the start, for example, with 'Black Boys'. But that was years ago, and who want's to be a millionaire etc were hardly the same calibre. Then, came the Arctic Monkey's instrumental and Bashy started talking about big boy stuff. Like, actual, proper grown stuff. None of that pretending he is something he isn't and stunting for image. What's better is that, yes, this realness radiated maturity, but it still left enough room for Bashy to have fun and do fun things i.e. throw shots at Dappy :D

The fire started after all of this though. Flows upon flows to spout a whole loada truth, from how to break the system to how you should reflect on your reflection in the mirror if it's showing you a man in a skirt. This Fire In The Booth was basically just full of ridiculously quotable stuff and yet the most un-quotable part was the ne plus ultra and yes, I know I went Latin, but that's only because BASHY WENT FRENCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Yes.

A verse of fire in French. Lord help me if I knew what he was actually saying jheeezeeeeeeeeeee. Prior to the FITB, the image of Bashy in my head was "Commercial Bashy" in his video pushing a trolley of sacks with the pound sign on them in Arial Black  font. By the end, it had transformed into Ashley-Bashley Thomas sitting in a Jean Paul Gaultier suit eating a croissant (because French innit).
If I never rated him before, I deffo rated him now.


0 comments:

Post a Comment